I founded SG-Retail to help businesses create more value for their customers and shareholders.
Our approach builds off my experiences gained in sales, marketing and general management at P&G, Pepsico and Barilla and whilst working closely with many of the world’s major retailers as Managing Director at dunnhumby (Tesco & Kroger), Chief Executive & Chairman at emnos (Carrefour, Metro, Morrisons, Waitrose, DSG, Boots, British Airways, British Gas) and as a senior adviser to Boston Consulting Group and a range of innovative marketing solution providers
I am an admirer of the way Tesco created huge shareholder value, growing from the number 2 grocery retailer in the UK to the second most profitable in the world.
Central to their success was a customer centric business purpose & philosophy, an organisation that was marketing led with the necessary capability to fully leverage “big data” and an ability to move quickly from strategy to execution using innovative retailing solutions and brand partnerships that were designed to help customers get what they want, at good prices, by reducing queue times, with helpful staff and a loyalty programme designed to say thank you.
We have distilled the key elements of this approach into a series of steps & solutions that can be reapplied by any business seeking to grow profits and achieve competitive advantage.read more
People & Values
Our people are world class. They have worked with major retail and fmcg businesses and/or with leading service and solution partners.
We create delivery teams that are tailored to a client’s requirements depending on skills, expertise, seniority, geography and cultural fit.
Our people share a common set of values that inform how we recruit, how we work internally and how we work for clients. These are :-
- Passion for results
- High performance teamwork
- Being smart, curious and looking for a better way
- Acting with integrity, respect for others & doing the right thing
If you share these values , have relevant experience and would like to be considered for a consulting or business development role please send me your details and a brief cv.read more
• For Retailers & Service Providers
We help retailers, brand owners and service providers to leverage data and create value by engaging more effectively with their customers, shoppers and consumers
Our start point is to help leadership teams create business goals, strategies, plans and measures that are customer centric.
We help to create the necessary in house or out sourced customer insight & data management capability to ensure customer data informs all key business decisions.
We ensure “customer engagement” delivers value in 3 key ways all of which are measurable and therefore manageable :
- value : how much customers spend with our clients and how frequently they shop
- commitment : how much “share of wallet” customers spend with our clients
- advocacy : what they say about our clients via research and via their social networks
We do this across all retail channels – in store, online, mobile and in all business sectors
We work with world class service providers to provide tailored solutions, where required, for data management, advanced analytics, digital & mobile marketing, instore w-fi, content, customer loyalty & CRM
• For Fmcg brand owners
We help fmcg brand owners to leverage “big data”, to better understand shoppers and to work with retailers to achieve “Perfect Stores” (as measured by range, distribution, display, availability, pricing & promotions) and so achieve significant growth in sales, profit and share.read more
- Interesting insights into instore wi-fi usage
- Thoughts on in-store wi-fi
- CPGs : winning with joined up "big data"
- B&Q mobile loyalty app
- Asda introduces free wi-fi and new smartphone apps
- British Gas : Winning with Nectar
- Drucker : The customer is the foundation of a business
- Sainsbury's App Lets Shoppers "Scan & Go"
- "Big data" to drive $28bn in IT spending
- Why are retailers slow to introduce mobile loyalty and CRM programmes ?
- What is "Midata" ?
- Building Customer Insight Capability
- "Rethinking Personal Data"
- Gartner's top 10 strategic technology trends for 2013